Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Turkey Trot

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just finished running the Turkey Trot - the annual 5k (3.1 miles) Thanksgiving race held here in Springfield Mo. There were 5,100 runners/walkers in this race making it the largest 5k in the state.

One of the things I thought of as I ran this race was, "Ouch!". There were a lot of times I thought I wanted to quit, or at least sit down and wait 10 minutes before I ran again.

The author of Hebrews tells us in chapter 12, "let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith."

Let us run with endurance! He doesn't kid around and say that running is always fun. One t-shirt had a saying, "My sport is my son's punishment!"

Don't give up! You may get tired in your Christian race at times. You may get a blister or two. But don't give up - because there is a great reward waiting for those who finish the race.

Pastor John
(by the way - my time was 31 minutes - not great by any means - but I burned up enough calories for another piece of pie!)

No comments: