Friday, May 26, 2006

Wasted Effort

This morning I stood out by a tree that had a branch cut off. As I stood there I noticed how the tree was still sending water and sap to the cutoff branch. The tree was doing it's best to nourish something that was no longer there. Wasted effort!

It's not only trees who behave illogically. We human beings have a tremendous habit of focusing our efforts on that which can't be changed, or trying to regrow something that's died. We struggle against the inevitable. We pour out our strength on fruitless activities.

Ephesians 5:16 tells us to be "making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."

We can't be doing that if we use our time, energy, talents, and money on old dead branches.

Jesus said in John 15:1-2 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."

Are you trying to resusitate a branch that Jesus has pruned?

Grace & Peace
Rev. John

No comments: